Most people don’t like quinoa. I agree it is a bit weird, you’re eating a seed. But when cooked right you have a new amazing source of complete protein to add to your diet.
This recipe is delicious. It is a perfect addition to bring to the many potluck BBQs you’ll be invited to this summer! After trying this recipe, you will have a new take on quinoa and enjoy it much more! And if you don’t like quinoa after this, this dressing is amazing on salads with a little bit of ginger grated on top.
Summer Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 heirloom tomato
5-6 basil leaves
1 cup spinach
For the dressing:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic
1 tbsp honey – make sure it is local to ward off allergies!
salt and pepper.
1-2 Fresh Limes for squeezing
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions – I usually pop the water in the pot and then the quinoa and bring to a boil, then let simmer until all the water is absorbed. Let cool.
2. In a large bowl mix all dressing ingredients together until combined. Add as much lime juice as you like. I like it to be full of fabulous lime flavor so I do both limes, if you’re not completely obsessed with lime like I am, then just add 1/2-1 lime.
3. Prep all the vegetables. Cut into the cubes the tomato and cucumber. Julienne the basil and spinach.
4. Once quinoa is cooled, it is fine to still be a bit warm but I don’t like it wilt the spinach or basil, pour the quinoa into the bowl with the dressing and toss.
5. Add all the vegetables and toss. Then enjoy!
This is a great versatile salad! Great optional Additions:
I have added all kinds of cheese to this recipe and they are all good. I prefer a hard goat cheese.
Almonds or Sunflower Seeds
This recipe also holds very well for leftovers for lunch the next day – enjoy with chicken as well!
This recipe is tried and true by Ashley – Enjoy!